MABLEDON was built mainly of Tunbridge Wells sandstone in 1805 and extended in the same materials in 1829-31 and 1870. Mabledon Park and farms originally extended to some 500 acres.
In 1769 (Andrews, Drury and Herbert map of Kent), the site is called Quorry (Quarry) Hill. There were two undefined dwellings near the site of the house. They are not named, nor are their owners, so were
probably not substantial houses.
The main part of the present house was built by James Burton in 1804. He was a major developer and builder of the period. Mabledon is recorded in Amsinck's Publication dated 1810
The picture in the 1807 Engraving by G.Cooke based on a drawing of JC Smith for "Beauties of England and Wales" shows the lawns on the south and east fronts going up to the house, in the style of 18th century English parklands. It can be assumed that the parkland remained this way until the house was extended by Decimus Burton in 1829-31.
James Burton's tenth child Decimus became a well-known 19th Century architect and was brought up in the house. James sold the house in 1828 to John Deacon (of Deacon's Bank in London) .
In 1829 Deacon commissioned Decimus Burton to design a new wing for Mabledon. A further wing was added in 1870. There were a number of ranges of agricultural and estate buildings, north of the house, at differing periods.
The first edition Ordnance Survey, 25 inches to 1 mile, 1869, shows the house and gardens in recognisable form, with the rear conservatory and square lawn to the west of it. The access drives are on their present alignment. The walled kitchen garden is shown in detail and the gardener's cottage, walls, outbuildings and pond are still existing. All the glasshouses have gone.
The third edition O.S of 1909, shows the house in its final form. The eastern and southern ha-ha walls and railings are the same. The western gardens have been altered. The square lawn is now rectangular and joins the viewing point by the south western comer. A terrace wall and steps has been added at the western end and two terraces with banks beyond this.
In the Second World War the military occupied Mabledon and built a range of large buildings to the north west of the house and these still stand.
The Church Pastoral Aid Society (CPAS) took over the house and used the house and military buildings; they also built two detached houses north of the house in the late 1960's, early 1970's, in the style of the period as replacements for two lodge houses that were demolished for the construction of the A21.